Happy Mid-Autumn Festival! This very brief holiday occurs during the fall and a full moon marks its arrival. And just what is the best part of this holiday besides getting the day off from work? Mooncakes!
Mooncakes come in all different flavors and if you can’t read the Chinese on the package, it’s an exciting surprise to bite into one and see which kind you received! Below are just a few of the common flavors you might find in any given store during this time of year:
1. Red bean paste – the original flavor, slightly sweet
2. Five kernel and roast pork – mixed nuts such as almonds, sesame seeds, and pumpkin seeds with pork
3. Lotus seed paste – sometimes includes kidney bean paste and/or duck eggs
4. Seafood – salty seaweed and fish
5. Durian – smelly but flavorful
6. Snow skin – not baked and eaten cold
7. Green tea – ground tea leaves combined with other mild flavored pastes
8. Chocolate – a recent addition to the mooncake flavors and is still not very popular
9. Ice cream – head over to your nearest Häagen-Dazs to sample one of these expensive but yummy mooncakes
10. Mocha – Starbucks has recently come out with some coffee flavored mooncakes which are also rather pricey but go great with a cup of coffee
This Mid-autumn Day Festival make sure to get out and purchase a variety box of mooncakes to celebrate the beginning of fall. If you have a favorite that’s not on this list, be sure to let us know!